The Transylvanian city situated in the heart of Romania and surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains represents a mixture of traditional charm and modern urban life.
The medieval monuments of priceless architectural value, many museums, beautiful Germanic buildings, cultural atmosphere, large variety of restaurants and vibrant nightlife, all give Braşov an unmatched uniqueness and authenticity.
The cultural and historic richness, variety of activities and easy accessibility, make visiting the city throughout the year well worth it.
Known in German as Kronstadt, Braşov is one of the biggest cities in Romania, with a population of over 250,000. Situated in the centre of the country, within the Brașov depression, the city has been favoured by its strategic geographical positioning since ancient times, which had a determining role in its development.
The fortification of Brașov, one of the few in Europe that is still actively lived in, was built between the 14th and 15th century, becoming one of the most important in Transylvania. Today, you can admire the multitude of nicely restored medieval vestiges that attract thousands of tourists, like the Black Church, the Council Hall, the Bastions of the Furriers, Drapers, Weavers, and Blacksmiths, the Graft Bastion, the White Tower, the Black Tower, Butcher’s Tower, the Catherine’s Gate or the Great Citadel.
Many of the monuments house museums and galleries, like the Municipal History Museum in the Council Hall, the Casa Mureșenilor Museum, the Museum of the First Romanian School, the Art Museum and the Ethnographic Museum.
Brașov is a dynamic and lively city, where events happen all the time, like music and theater festivals, concerts and various shows. Don’t miss the Medieval Celebrations, Junii Brașoveni, the Craftsmen Fair, the International Book and Music Fair, or the Christmas Fair in the winter, organized in the Council Square.
Brașov is also an excellent starting point for visiting the rest of Transylvania, having a variety of options for accommodation. In the vicinity of the city discover Poiana Brașov, one of the most famous mountain resorts in Romania, the Râsnov stronghold, the Valea Cetății cave or numerous other strongholds. Castles and fortified churches like Bran Castle, Feldioara fortress, Hărman, Prejmer, Viscri, and Rotbav are also close.
- Going up Tâmpa Mountain (960 m), which dominates the great city, using the cable car or on foot. From high above, you will be treated to a dream like birds-eye-view of the historical centre of Brașov.
- Take a walk on Republicii Street, where you can admire the remarkable architecture of the buildings.
- Visit Sforii Street, considered one of the narrowest streets in Europe.
- Enjoy delicious traditional dishes, like bean stew served in a homemade bread crust.
- Take a walk or ride a bike through Brașov’s forests.
- Explore Brașov on bike.
Good to know
- Brașov is very well connected with all the other regions of the country by the European road E60 and national road DN1. The 160 km between Bucharest and Brașov can be travelled by car in 3 hours with optimal traffic.
- The Central Train station can be found at 1A Gării Blvd. about 2.5 km from the historic centre.
- The closest airports are those in Bucharest and Sibiu.
- The Tourist Information Centres can be found at the following addresses: at 1 Prundului Street (Monday and Friday 10:00-15:00, Tuesday-Thursday 9:00-17:00, Saturday and Sunday 11:00-14:00); at 10 Eroilor Blvd. (Daily 10:00-22:00); in front of the central train station (Daily 10:00-22:00); in Poiana Brașov, at 138 Poiana Soarelui Street (Daily 10:00-17:00).
- The main Post Office can be found in Palatul Poștei, at 1 Nicolae Iorga Street (Monday-Friday 8:00-19:00, Saturday 9:00-13:00).
- You can rent bicycles in the Council Square.
From Braşov: Day Trip to the Bison Reserve & Traditional LunchMore
Hiking and photography in TransylvaniaMore
Best Walking Tour of BrașovMore
Mountain Bike CampingMore
Wilderness Makes You Better: Father & Kid ExperienceMore
Medieval Transylvania- a Journey Into the Past / Photo TourMore
Day hike in Ciucas MountainsMore